Greenhouse & Vertical Farming
Water Solutions for Advanced Agriculture
As demand for nutritious, high quality produce grows, large-scale, modernized, indoor agriculture is advancing to meet it. Most of the water used in advanced agricultural facilities can be recovered, re-enriched with nutrients, and reused. Saltworks can help to treat water for reuse, balancing nutrient content and pH, or treat for discharge.
Water & Advanced Agriculture
Facilities such as greenhouses and vertical farms use vastly lower quantities of land, chemicals, and water than traditional agriculture. With appropriate systems, most of the water involved can be reused.
However, as with all agriculture, a careful balance of pH, alkalinity, and nutrient content must be struck to maximize yields and qualities such as appearance and flavor. Not only that, but wastewater which cannot be reused may face strict requirements for discharge or disposal. Saltworks can help with these challenges and more.
Reuse: Smart, Automated & Efficient
Advanced agricultural facilities have substantially lower water demand than traditional agriculture because of reuse. But before water can be reused, it must be optimized so that yield and quality are kept to a high standard. We can help you to balance your recycled water for high performance, with robotized, intelligent solutions:
- Treat wastewater to generate high quality re-use water with a process economically optimized for your system.
- Measure ions in real-time with ScaleSense to optimize yields.
- Selectively remove dissolved solids & ions such as chlorides and sodium employing Flex EDR monovalent selective electrodialysis.
- Manage levels of nutrients such as calcium, sulfate, magnesium, nitrogen (ammonia/ammonium), potassium, and boron with IonSelect
- Acid/base injection to balance pH and alkalinity.
Treatment & Discharge
When water needs to be disposed of or discharged, we help you to meet discharge limits and come to the most economic outcomes. Our solutions:
- Enable ion targeting: over 99% of agricultural wastewater is water, only a few pollutants prevent its re-use. We can help you target those pollutants.
- Achieve extreme reverse osmosis recoveries well beyond conventional with our XtremeRO product line
- Reduce brine volume, even to minimal liquid discharge (MLD) or zero liquid discharge (ZLD) with our SaltMaker family.
- Target contaminants such as heavy metals, scaling ions, & ammonia.
- Filter suspended solids & hydrocarbons with XtremeUF.
Contact us with your water chemistry, flow rates, and treatment goals for an options assessment today.
Greenhouses & Vertical Farming Related Products
Flex EDR is an advanced electrodialysis reversal (EDR) system, leveraging our next generation ion exchange membranes. It requires less pre-treatment, tolerates oils and organics, selectively removes ions and uses fewer chemicals.
An automated, real-time sensor for saline waters that measures calcium (Ca2+), barium (Ba2+), sulfate (SO42-) ions and silica (SiO2). ScaleSense is robust and corrosion-resistant and functions accurately and precisely, even at extremely high-TDS.
Next-generation water-maker and brine-concentrator based on reverse osmosis that achieves extreme freshwater recoveries, enabling cost-effective brine management and treatment of challenging organic-laden waters including oil & gas produced waters.