Food & Beverage
Manage organics and TDS, recover solids, and minimize waste
Food & Beverage Challenges
Saltworks helps food and beverage producers treat wastewater, achieve water reuse, recover by-products, and meet discharge limits. We treat the toughest brines, even those laden with organics.
Our experts can help you meet recovery targets with modernized electrodialysis reversal (EDR) and enhanced reverse osmosis (RO) systems. We can augment your existing processes with ‘bolt-on’ solutions, or design and deliver new systems fitted to your needs:
- Recycling water and reagents such as acids & salts
- Treating for organics, oils and grease
- Reducing waste volumes for minimal or zero liquid discharge
- Targeting dissolved ions using selective removal
- Reducing total dissolved solids (TDS) with modernized EDR and producing purified sodium/calcium/chloride brine
- Enhancing RO recovery and mitigating fouling risk
- Wine tartaric stabilization
Expertly Optimized RO
Many food and beverage manufacturers rely on reverse osmosis (RO) to concentrate waste streams for disposal and recover fresh water for processing. We can help you get the most out of RO with a suite of products that maximize performance, cost-effectiveness, and longevity:
- BrineRefine scaling ion removal with precision automated chemical dosing
- Highly robust XtremeUF ceramic ultrafiltration for organics and particulate removal
- XtremeRO/NF brine concentration systems available in three pressure classes to meet your recovery needs
- Dynamic recovery control with our ScaleSense sensors to optimize recovery in real time as water conditions change
- Our SaltMaker evaporator crystallizer range further concentrates brine to minimal or zero liquid discharge (MLD or ZLD)
- SaltMaker ChilledCrys withdraws dissolved sodium sulfate as a solid, suitable for reuse.
Wastewater Treatment Options
Meeting your food and beverage wastewater treatment needs may require an optimal combination of treatment, transport, and disposal options. Saltworks technical experts can help you to understand your options—including discharge regulations and economics.
Take the next step with our comprehensive pilot program and fully skidded, scalable, and ready-to-operate systems. Contact us to learn more.
Food & Beverage Related Products
SaltMaker MVR Evaporator Crystallizer
XtremeRO/NF Brine Concentrator
XtremeUF Ceramic Ultrafiltration System
Food & Beverage Related Resources
As demand for nutritious, high-quality produce grows, large-scale, modernized, indoor agriculture is advancing to meet it. Most of the water used in advanced agricultural facilities can be recovered, re-enriched with nutrients, and reused. Saltworks can help to treat water for reuse, balancing nutrient content and pH, or treat for discharge.
This article introduces a new type of ceramic membrane system and explains how it opens the application range. An example of treatment of oil and grease in produced water is provided.
The many options for managing brine, a term for saline wastewater from industrial processes, fall under two categories: brine treatment and brine disposal. Brine treatment involves desalinating the brine for reuse and producing a concentrated brine (lower liquid waste volume), or residual solids (zero liquid discharge).