New ultra-high pressure reverse osmosis technology for minimal liquid discharge (MLD) can reduce brine management costs by three times relative to evaporators. Modernized chemical softening technology is available to prevent scaling and enable recovery up to the osmotic pressure limit at 1,200 or 1,740 psi.
Solutions for complex wastewaters
No two pharmaceutical wastewaters are the same. Saltworks can help you to treat complex wastewaters from this critical industry with certainty. We implement solutions that target organics, metals, and ions for removal, reduce brine waste, and allow water reuse.
Wastewaters in Health Industries
R&D or manufacturing of essential medicines can generate complex and unique wastewaters. Concerns may include:
- microbes such as bacteria and viruses
- various chemicals including metals, chlorides, cyanide, organics such as phenols, solvents, disinfectants, or active pharmaceutical components such as antibiotics
- other wastewater issues such as total suspended solids (TSS), total dissolved solids (TDS), ammonia, oils & grease, biological oxygen demand (BOD), and chemical oxygen demand (COD).
Normal municipal wastewater treatment may be insufficient to protect the environment or meet regulatory limits and satisfactory treatment may require multiple steps.
Here are some examples of how Saltworks and its products can help with your pharmaceutical project:
- Reducing particulate—including microbes—to a low level using our robust, ceramic XtremeUF ultrafiltration system, producing a high quality filtrate in a small footprint.
- Targeting metals and ions for removal in a compact plant with intelligent automation. See our IonSelect solutions to learn more about our selective contaminant removal solutions.
- Brine Management such as recovering water from reverse osmosis brine and ion exchange resin regeneration waste.
- Supporting biological treatments such as membrane bioreactors (MBRs), for example by lowering total dissolved solids (TDS) or ammonia load.
- Decomposing organics with electrochemical methods.
Get Your Project Right
Have pharmaceutical wastewater challenges? We can help analyze your options. We may be able to save you money and reduce waste generated through sound process control.
Contact us with your wastewater analysis, treatment goals, and flow rates.
Pharmaceutical Wastewater Related Products
BrineRefine Chemical Softening System
SaltMaker AirBreather Evaporator Crystallizer
XtremeRO/NF Brine Concentrator
XtremeUF Ceramic Ultrafiltration System
Pharmaceutical Wastewater Related Resources
Excessive phenolic compounds are harmful to human health and the environment. Chlorophenols, by-products of chlorinating phenol-containing water, are carcinogens. A treatment system needs to be chosen and engineered carefully, with consideration of specific wastewater chemistry, operating conditions, and economics.
Digester wastewaters are by-products of biogas production in anaerobic digesters. They require treatment prior to disposal. To meet regulation compliance, treatment options range from minor interventions such as selective contaminant removal, to major interventions such as minimum and zero liquid discharge (MLD/ZLD).
First Commercial Order of a Next Generation Ultra-High Pressure Reverse Osmosis (UHP RO) Industrial System
Saltworks is thrilled to announce the first full-scale order for an industrial Ultra-High Pressure Reverse Osmosis (UHP RO) system with Nitto high performing HYDRANAUTICSTM PRO-XP1 spiral wound membranes rated to 1,800 psi (124 bar).