Achieve true ZLD with two forced circulation evaporative crystallizer options: SaltMaker MVR and SaltMaker MSF.
Zero Liquid Discharge and Minimal Liquid Discharge
Reduce disposal costs and maximize freshwater recovery with optimized membrane and thermal systems
Our innovative brine management solutions maximize your freshwater recovery and minimize waste products, reducing your disposal costs. We can help you to optimize your costs with the correct blend of membrane and evaporator crystallizer solutions to achieve zero liquid discharge.
Start With Analysis
Before you invest in equipment, let us provide you with an engineering study—we want to help you reduce total costs and improve reliability.
We have solutions that can lower your cost through selective ion removal:
- Avoiding the need for brine management,
- Maximizing upstream membrane recovery, resulting in less brine waste, or
- Using alternative energy sources—such as waste heat—to improve economics.
A rapid upfront analysis can inform your decision pathway, such that you invest your valuable time in the most viable options.
Ion Selective Removal
The most cost-effective way to achieve MLD or ZLD is to avoid it altogether. If your wastewater challenge is limited to one or two constituents of concern, we may be able to target and remove them.
Using a variety of treatment methods, robust real-time sensors, and our expertise, we can avoid the need for more complex and expensive treatment.
Increase RO System Recovery
The second most cost-effective pathway to MLD or ZLD is through minimizing brine volumes with optimized membrane systems. We can help to safely push reverse osmosis (RO) assets to their osmotic potential by measuring and removing scaling ions in real-time.
Improve the performance of existing or added RO assets by:
- Maximizing recovery with ScaleSense, our real-time ion-selective scaling ion sensor
- Removing scaling ions with BrineRefine—our automated chemical softening system
- Removing heavy organics and particulate with our XtremeUF ceramic ultrafiltration system
- Implementing intelligent self-cleaning, as in our XtremeRO systems.
Our XtremeRO product can reach concentrations as high as 130,000 mg/L TDS, as much as twice the concentration achieved by conventional RO systems.
Achieve Zero Liquid Discharge
Concentrate your brine down to minimal liquid or even solid waste with our SaltMaker family. All are engineered as a complete MLD/ZLD package for corrosion and scale-free operation, automated self-cleaning, low-cost site installation, and ease of service.
We offer evaporators and crystallizers in several classes:
- SaltMaker MultiEffect is a four-effect thermal evaporative crystallizer, with built-in heat recycling.
- SaltMaker AirBreather is a single effect thermal evaporator, with both open or closed to atmosphere options, suited for waste heat or low-cost heat sources (<$5/GJ).
- SaltMaker MVR is a forced circulated mechanical vapour compression (MVR), suited for all-electric operation.
- SaltMaker ChilledCrys is a eutectic chilled crystallizer suited for specific ions pairs with a steep temperature-solubility curve such as sodium sulfate.
We provide comprehensive solutions so you can treat the toughest wastewaters to MLD or ZLD. We can target ions & treat oily and organic wastewater—and help you to achieve economic ZLD.
Contact our experts to determine which solutions work best for your wastewater treatment needs.
XtremeUF ceramic ultrafiltration removes oils, grease, precipitated by-products, particulate, microbes, and suspended solids.
Our UHP RO minimizes brine from tough industrial wastewaters and delivers the highest freshwater recovery in the industry.
Saltworks has shipped two SaltMaker MVR crystallizers and a SaltMaker ChilledCrys to the electric vehicle (EV) battery industry. These full-scale systems will play an essential role in the production of lithium and nickel—two critical elements in EV batteries.
Convention teaches that ZLD requires energy-intensive boiling to produce solids. Our engineers recently broke that convention and helped a mining client achieve solid salt production in a novel membrane-chiller hybrid plant using UHP-RO.
Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) and Minimal Liquid Discharge (MLD) Become Lower Cost Through Reverse Osmosis Innovation
Saltworks is pleased to announce that recent advancements in reverse osmosis technology are now commercially available. Reduce conventional RO brine volumes by 50%, achieving brine concentrations of 130,000 to 150,000 mg/L TDS with spiral wound RO membranes.
Zero liquid discharge (ZLD) is an engineering approach to water treatment where all water is recovered and contaminants are reduced to solid waste.